Ingredients (serves 4-6):
1 tbsp olive oil
1 red pepper, thinly sliced
1 green pepper, thinly sliced
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp flour
1 1/2 cup whole milk
2 cups queso cheese
salt and pepper
1 1/2 cup cooked chicken, shredded
1 tbsp Taco Seasoning
3 soft taco size tortillas, thickly sliced
1 1/2 cups Spanish Rice
1/4 cup blend of Mexican cheeses, shredded
1 tbsp cilantro, roughly chopped
garnish- Salsa, Guacamole, sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 375º. Liberally coat an 8 x 8 pan with cooking spray, set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet. When warm, add peppers and onion. Sauté for 3-5 minutes, or until veggies start to soften. Remove from heat, and transfer to a large bowl. Set aside. Wipe out pan with a paper towel.
3. Heat butter in the skillet. When melted, add flour. Stir around the pan for 1-2 minutes to cook out some of the raw flour taste. Begin adding milk slowly, generously whisking after each addition. Once all the milk has been added, add the cheese. Stir until the cheese is completely melted. If the sauce is too thick, add a little more milk. You want the sauce to be pourable. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Add taco seasoning to the chicken, toss to combine.
5. Begin building the casserole- place a layer of tortillas on the bottom of the pan. Top with 3/4 cup of rice. Spread half the pepper mixture over the rice. Top with 3/4 cup of chicken. Pour half the queso sauce over the casserole. Repeat layers, starting again with tortillas. After adding the remainder of the queso, top the casserole with the Mexican cheese.
6. Place casserole in preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove from oven, and sprinkle cilantro over casserole. Slice, and serve immediately with salsa, guacamole, and sour cream.